When I am at work and it gets quiet and I have exhausted the articles on every single other website I read, I sometimes check out Buzzfeed. This week there were 2 articles this week and both of them made me sad.
Now, I only have 20 but I am also only 1 person:
- Self Control is real. Humans are not animals and it is disrespectful to ourselves to act like we have no control over our impulses and decisions
- The birth control pill is a level 1 Carcinogen. The same level of classification as tobacco and formaldehyde (http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Classification/ClassificationsGroupOrder.pdf (pdf))
- Because I want my future marriage to have the best chance of success http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8226959/Couples-who-dont-have-sex-before-marriage-are-happier-study-claims.html
- Because I don’t want my future marriage to end in divorce (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/religion/2558098/posts)
- Because I don’t want an unnecessary death (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/yaz-yasmin-birth-control-pills-suspected-in-23-deaths-1.1302473 and http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2014/01/nuvaring-lethal-contraceptive-trial)
- Because I don’t want a blood clot (http://www.drugwatch.com/yaz/blood-clots/)
- Because I don’t want a stroke (http://womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/stroke.html#j)
- Because I don’t want to risk my health in order to break my normally functioning body. There is no reason to take a prescription when your body is working as designed. Breaking something that isn’t broken and risk serious side effects and death doesn’t make sense to me
- Because I believe that all life is important and unique, even in the pre-implantation embryonic phase. Some birth control pills cause early first trimester abortions. I don’t intend in taking a life intentionally, and I certainly don’t want to take one accidentally. Birth control that causes abortion: Plan B, IUDs, Yaz & Yasmin, The Pill, The Minipill and Depo-Provera (http://www.lifeissues.org/abortifacients/)
- Because women are powerful because we can bring forth life. We don’t need to supress what is distinctly female to move ahead in life.
- Because I believe sex and love should not have exceptions or conditions. To say “I like every thing about you and I want to be with you. But I don’t like what your body can do.” Is not love, love should be free, unifying and giving.
- Because I have control over my life by tracking my cycles. I know when I can become pregnant and when I cannot. I don’t need chemicals to regulate me.
- Because there are other ways to treat acne (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/acne/basics/treatment/con-20020580)
- Because there are other ways to treat cramps (http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/treating-cramps-and-heavy-or-irregular-cycles-without-birth-control)
- Because there are other ways to treating women’s reproductive health (http://www.naprotechnology.com/surgical.htm)
- Because taking contraception puts all of the responsibility on the women, natural family planning requires communication, trust and commitment. Things that lead to successful relationships
- Because there is power in knowing your cycles, when you smother the indicators with chemicals prescription you can miss warning signs that something might not be working properly in your body
- Because it can take up to 6 months for your body to become fertile again. 6 months for your body to start to do what it was designed to do.
- Because I try to eat clean and care about what I put in my body, I try to avoid overly processed food and junk food. I care about hormones and additives in my food and prefer cooking from scratch. Why then would I willingly take large amounts of unnecessary hormones?
- Because Natural Family Planning is not your great grandma’s rhythm method. It’s based on science and can be uniquely tailored to each women’s cycle. Plus there are apps you can get for your phone which make it super easy to track
So, I don’t have pretty pictures or hashtags but I strongly believe that the best thing a woman can do is ditch the pill, ditch the birth control and actually take control of her body. There is only a 7 day window in the month a woman is fertile. If having sex and not making babies is that important to you there is still an all natural way of avoiding pregnancy.
And it leads to stronger relationships because it requires support, trust and understanding. In our society that is littered with broken hearts and broken families, maybe it is time to reconsider how we treat ourselves and each other in our sexual relationships. Maybe the focus should be less on sex and more on building a strong foundation (which NFP does).
Just a thought.
PS. It’s also equally as effective as hormonal methods and more effective than barrier methods when done correctly: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2012/1115/od1.html and http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6375261.stm
PPS. Couples who use NFP tend to have more sex and for longer periods of time in their life: http://www.nfpta.org.uk/faq.html#q5